A look behind the scenes

An energizing day during the CIT coordination service

It promises to be a sunny Sunday. Joeske from the Crisis Intervention Team takes over at 9 a.m. from her colleague who has been coordinating the evening and night. They have a telephone handover; it has been quiet. Just two phone calls and there are no issues that need to be addressed immediately. But then…

At 9:15 a.m., a young lady of 25 (Case A) calls. She argues with her mother and does not feel safe. She is about to go to her father (parents are divorced) and is afraid of his reaction because of previous experiences. We discuss in detail her personal situation. In response, they agree that she will first see how contact with her father is going. If it escalates, she knows to call 911. Otherwise, they agree to be in touch later, if necessary.

At 10 a.m., a supervisor of a gentleman in custody for domestic violence calls (Case B). This gentleman needs shelter because he is facing a conduct order. That means 90 days of a contact and location ban. Mr. has no network where he can stay. The time-out bed that CIT can call on is likely occupied by Case C. CIT will have to look at an alternative. The supervisor arranged an alternative for next night. For follow-up, something still needs to be arranged. They agree to coordinate tomorrow to see if the Time-out bed is available again.

At 10:15 a.m. the phone rings again. A father calls because of his son in his mid-20s who was placed on the emergency bed by us yesterday due to an escalation at home (Case C). Something seems to have gone wrong in the placement, as his son was to be placed on the time-out bed for the entire weekend. And he is now on the street. The CIT is going to see what went wrong.

Around 10:30, Joeske has coordination with emergency bed Traverse (homeless shelter) in which they explain to her how the placement went. Even before Joeske has a chance to return this, the next call comes.

At 11:45 a.m. Joeske speaks to the son from Case C. He is packing his things at the emergency bed. Joeske says she will do her best to still arrange placement at the Time-out bed. At 12:15 she can give him confirmation. She asks her colleague on active duty to be present at the placement, as stipulated in the cooperation agreements.

At noon, the young lady from Case A calls back. Things have gotten out of hand again with her mother and she is now at the police station. Joeske and the girl agree that she will first talk to the officer (who is waiting for her) and that the police or herself will call CIT back for follow-up. Joeske then calls the shelter to check if there are any spots available at all, should this young lady not be able to stay at home and there are no options in the network.

At 1 p.m., the CIT is called again. A 14-year-old became very angry, which manifested itself physically. A situation in which things remained very unsettled throughout the phone conversation. Joeske makes the consideration of sending her active-duty colleague there. So that the person can assess what is needed. She also coordinates with Safe Home’s outreach team because they know this case.

Case B’s supervisor calls at 1:45 p.m. Alternative care is unfortunately not an option. Now what? Joeske is going to see what the options are, although they are becoming very limited. Fifteen minutes later, the police also call to make the urgency clear. Sir is released, but has nowhere to go. After discussion, Joeske calls the police and the supervisor at 2:15 p.m. that Mr. can go to a hotel with various conditions. With this, the situation appears to be under control for now. They make a few more practical arrangements and tomorrow Safe Home will take up the case further with the supervisor.

At 4 p.m. Joeske has app contact with a lady who was supposed to go to a safe place because of problems at home. However, she refrains from doing so. Joeske and Mrs. make safety arrangements for the evening and night, and Joeske emails the relevant social services about the situation. In addition, she calls the shelter that Mrs. will not be coming and this spot is free again for any other urgent situation.

The end of her shift is at 5 p.m. Joeske turns the shift over to her colleague who coordinates the evening and night. Joeske is not done yet, however, as there is still some registration and transfer to involved social workers and Safe Home waiting for her.

The next morning she gets a call from her colleague who worked the evening shift: had zero calls that night! So you see, a day/evening is never the same at the Crisis Intervention Team.

Also read these stories